Saturday, July 9, 2016

Recent Gifts I've Received


Lately I've posted mostly photos of my travels, but little of my daily life in China. I'm packing up to leave on summer holiday, so I wanted to leave you with 31 days of posts that paint a picture of what it's like to live in China and what my current life is like. If you want to join in the sharing I'd love it if you would place a link in the comments back to your post. I hope you enjoy and have a great summer!

It's common in Chinese culture to give gifts. I've received a variety of things in the two years that I've lived here. Here is a glimpse at some of the traditional Chinese gifts I received recently from students, teachers and friends.

Jade Necklace

I've also received several fans recently. The purple and black fans are small and practical for every day use. They've come in handy lately with the really hot, humid summer we're having. The larger paper fan isn't really practical to use or easy to hold onto, so I think I'll end up framing it and hang it on my wall instead 







One of my students from Inner Mongolia brought me this piece of art work as a gift on our final class. It's made of leather and has a design embossed on it. This is a local craft that is typical in that region. 






What comes to mind when you think of typical Chinese products? Is this what you picture?






2 comments:

  1. These gifts are very cool and thoughtful. I've never seen this type of leather artwork before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was new to me as well! It's always interesting receiving gifts from someone because the gift they choose often says a lot about the giver as well. I learn about what is important to them in their life and culture.

      Delete