Wednesday, December 10, 2014

National Museum of China

Living in China for a year gives me a chance to explore the history of a culture that I know little about.  I've studied various types of histories throughout my years of education and travel though I never had the opportunity until now to study China. I love reading about history and visiting local museums and there are a lot of museums in China. One of the best is the National Museum of China in Beijing located just east of Tian'an Men Square. There is a variety of items on display ranging from art, sculpture, pottery and bronze work.   





Song Dynasty Stone Carvings

During the recent APEC meetings in Beijing, the National Museum of China opened a new exhibit on the Silk Road in China. I honestly get so excited to see pieces that people created and used in their daily lives over a thousand years ago. In all of my years of visiting historic sites and museums, I don't think I've ever viewed anything in person that was dated b.c. However there are a few pieces in this collection that are. Here are a few of my favorite treasures from the Silk Road exhibit:

Bronze Vessel (beginning of 3rd century - 221 B.C.)



Brocade Pillow, Han Dynasty (25-220 A.D.)

Brocade Armlet, Han-Jin Dynasty (202 B.C.- 420 A.D.)




Lacquer Sewing Box, Qing Dynasty


This museum has a lot of great items and I can't wait to explore more of the collections on display. Best of all, the museum is free to visit.

Do you have a favorite museum? What did you enjoy seeing lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment