Saturday, July 2, 2016

Photos of LangFang

Lately I've posted mostly photos of my travels, but little of my daily life in China. I'm packing up to leave on summer holiday, so I wanted to leave you with 31 days of posts that paint a picture of what it's like to live in China and what my current life is like. If you want to join in the sharing I'd love it if you would place a link in the comments back to your post. I hope you enjoy and have a great summer!



I'm living in Langfang, which is basically a suburb of Beijing. Although the selection is growing, it is difficult to find international brands or products here. The city is growing and changing, but there is limited foreign influence. Walking down the street or shopping in the main plaza I am still stared at constantly, people take photos of me and treat me as though I am a VIP. 

You can buy a variety of products from vendors on the street, ranging from fruits and vegetables, clothing, and street food. People drive anything from motorized bicycles or carts to foreign import vehicles. And everything is completely filthy. When I first arrived, I was so aware of the dirt everywhere. Now I've just become accustomed to it and deal with it by carrying antibacterial wipes, hand sanitizer and tissues everywhere I go. It is not unusual to see a child (or occasionally a drunk man) relieving themselves in the middle of the sidewalk. 

Apartments are typically very small so public spaces are frequently used to socialize. Every city I've visited in China to this point has had at least one large public park that is usually filled with locals. People use the space to walk, play cards or mahjong, dance and watch children play.     










What stands out the most in your city?







2 comments: