Monday, March 24, 2014

Spring in Madison

It has been a long, hard winter and I am so glad it is March. Although still a bit chilly for my tastes, it was nice to get outside and get some fresh air for a change. I had been cooped up at home for the past week straight finishing my comp exams for graduate school and decided to take a trip up to my hometown in Madison, WI to visit some friends for the day. 

We met for lunch at Old Fashioned on the Capitol Square then took our time walking around the city. Our first stop was the Monona Terrace, which unfortunately closes the rooftop viewing area in the winter. So we took a walk along the lake shore on the bike path instead. As warm as it feels, there were still several ice fisherman on the lake trying to take advantage of the last few weeks of the season. We then walked around the square and down State Street all the way to the UW Madison campus. Unfortunately, the Union Terrace is still closed up for the season as well. I'm looking forward to enjoying some cold beer on a hot, sunny day, staring out at the lake this summer.

On our way back to the car, we noticed the stream of people walking in and out of the Capitol building so we walked inside. I haven't been in the Capitol since I was a small child in Girl Scouts and school field trips, so it was fun to check it out again. 

Madison is a great walkable city with lots of fun activities (my favorites are in the summer). I'm looking forward to many more weekend visits in the near future. My short trip was just what I needed to relax after a tough week.



Wisconsin State Capitol

Wisconsin State Capitol

Wisconsin State Capitol

Miss Forward Statue at Wisconsin State Capitol

Inside the Capitol

Inside the Capitol

Walkway to the Monona Terrace
 
Bike path along Lake Monona near the Monona Terrace

How did you spend your weekend?


No comments:

Post a Comment